Friday, February 28, 2014

Sunset Surfer Silhouette


That's a lot of "S's" in the title.  Try to say that out loud three times quickly.  The California coast offers many wonderful photographic opportunities -- not the least of which are surfers and sunsets.  So, why not combine the two.  I went to the beach in anticipation of an epic colorful sunset but the thick marine layer just wouldn't cooperate.  The muted colors of the sunset gave me an idea to use the strong leading line and intricate geometric patterns of the pier against the surfer in slight silhouette.  I wanted this shot to be subtle and relaxed to match the feeling I had while enjoying the beautiful evening.  The gentle sound of the small waves crashing, feeling of wet sand under my feet, ever so slight chill in the winter air,  and  the sweet smell of salt air in my nose.

It was a wonderful evening at the beach.

For the techies out there the shot was made with a Fuji XE-1, f-11, 1/1100 sec, ISO 800, hand held.  Shot in Jpeg and adjusted in LR5.

Molly Dog Images Fine Art Website 


~ Johnnymac

1 comment:

  1. I thought this was wonderful. You are the gifted writer... and I am your honored wife.

    ReplyDelete