Monday, February 11, 2013

Stairways to ...

Black and white photographs provoke the imagination.  Living in snow country, the "white" comes easily.  The "black" was actually a reddish-brown rung of a staircase, that also would have added depth to this photo. However, the black and white brought more to this picture, in my opinion. Many, many skiers in this area pray for virgin snow; "first tracks" as they are referred to around here.  And here's a shocker, people actually pay to ski the trees, and cut the first tracks on Mt. Werner, just be able to waft, almost effortlessly down a quiet mountain, after a heavy dumping of phat powder. I speculate the skier experiences an emotional passion, perhaps, that of soaring through white, billowy clouds.  My skiing days long behind me; actually they never were in front of me either, the possibility to catch a set of stairs, unblemished by any living creature, gave me the thrill I yearned for that day.

1 comment: